Tenuta di Casaglia
Away from mass tourist places and surrounded by nature still intact, Tenuta di Casaglia offers you sun, peace and quiet. It is a dream location for family holidays, while musicians and other artists have found here their inspiration and desire to perform and create.
"La vita e' dolce qui..."
The estate and its history.
The history of Tenuta di Casaglia starts with first known inhabitants of the place - Etruscans.
Between 1925 and 1935, thanks to archeological excavations at the foot of the hill of Casaglia, beautiful tholos-shaped tombs dated from V.-VI B.C. were found.
It was then discovered that the hilltop of Tenuta di Casaglia served as an important trade road linking the land to the sea.
The written notes on the Casaglia Castel - Castrum Casaliae appeared around 1186. From the XIV c. the life in the region became extremely difficult because of epidemics and political conflicts. In 1700 the lands of Casaglia passed to the Espinassi Moratti Family. Thanks to the irrigation works realized in XIXth c., Casaglia property was transformed into fertile agriculture lands. With the introduction of new plants: corn, olive trees and vineyards, the new buildings were built to storm the harvests.
The external elevations of the main Casaglia buildings remain almost intact. The oldest part of Casaglia dates from 1100. The most important changes were introduced in the years 1850-1870 under N.H. Cav. Giovanni Battista Espinassi Moratti.
When in 2007 Baron and Baroness Andreas Weihrauch Di Pauli von Treuheim inherited the estate, their aim was to maintain the family tradition and to continue to make Casaglia a dream location for guests who long for a rest from the daily hectic. They wished to maintain a typical Tuscan countryside atmosphere, by keeping its authenticity whilst introducing modern facilities and more comfort.
Thanks to the initiative of the new owners and thanks to the support of the community, the conditions of the very old buildings were improved by renovating most of the roofs.
The baron and baroness also created more apartments in the existing buildings due to the growing request. Many more new olive trees were planted as the fertile grounds and the climatic conditions of Casaglia makes the olive oil worth producing.
The very old cemetery of Casaglia has been renovated as well as the Chapel of Saint Lucy, reviving an old tradition of the feast of Santa Lucia in Casaglia and its surroundings.
In spite of its size (with 400 hectares of ground Casaglia is one of the largest agri-touristic estates in Tuscany), it has remained a family operation with charm and personality. Andreas and Marianna Weihrauch Di Pauli von Treuheim with their family desire this continues.